Here are a few tips from ASIC on ways to save money around the home.
They are easy and simple to implement in our daily lives. Especially, on the steps we can take to save on our utilities. It not only reduces our bills, but also helps the planet too.
- Turn off electrical appliances at the power point when you’re not using them.
- Dress for the temperature by wearing a jumper and warm socks instead of turning on the heating.
- Take advantage of natural light as much as possible each day, rather than automatically switching on the lights.
- Use a door snake under doors and seal up any gaps or cracks around doors, windows, ceilings or floors to reduce draughts.
- Lower the temperature on your hot water heater.
- Consider installing solar panels with a gas booster, allowing the sun to heat up the water in the day, and the booster for when the sun isn’t warm enough.
- Check for any minor plumbing leaks which may be costly over time, both in terms of wasted water and the cost of repairing any damage caused.
- Turn your stove top or oven off just before the food is ready, allowing it to finish cooking with the residual heat.
- Save the water used for boiling eggs, pasta or vegetables and use it to water house plants or your garden.
- Put a plug in the sink if you are running the tap to wash dishes by hand or rinse fruit and vegetables.
- Only use the dishwasher when it is full or adjust the water level for a partial load if possible.
- Avoid using the dryer where possible. Instead hang your washing outside on sunny days or use an indoor clothes rack when it’s raining.
- Avoid using the washing machine for small loads or adjust the water level for a partial load if possible.
- Use a hot water bottle instead of an electric blanket.
- Used thermal-lined curtains to help reduce heat loss from the room and to prevent draughts.
- Take shorter showers.
- Install a water efficient showerhead and a dual flush on your toilet.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
If you have any handy tips on additional ways to save money around the home that you’d like to share with us, let us know on our Facebook page!
Baldwin Financial Services is based in Prospect in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.
Contact us to find out how we may be able to help you.